Tuesday, September 14, 2010

What’s the Right Thing to do? I’m Confused.


I had once blogged that to live a life of no-regret and to maintain a sparkling conscience, you need to follow just two steps.

1. Always do the Right thing.
2. Give your best at it.

But what is the Right thing to do? Is majority always right? Does one always follow the principle of the Greatest Good for the Greatest Number? If so, then you are justified in killing one person to take his organs to save five others who need them. If that doesn’t make moral-intutional sense because you feel individuals have rights that are greater than the majority, then you have no right to support a ban on Alcohol, Smoking or Prostitution, if certain individuals want to indulge in the same, while the majority don’t.

I’ve asked these questions to myself several times, I’ve read philosophical books on these and have even attended classes on the same. I have finally come across the best explanation in this fabulous series of lectures by Harvard Professor Michael Sandel on What’s the Right Thing To Do. The first few were simply riveting and am eagerly looking forward to completing the series. I am on Lecture 4, Titled: Consenting Adults. Watch or Hear the first lecture here and if you’ve ever thought about the above questions, I guarantee you’ll be hooked. Professor Michael’s practical examples of what’s the right thing make this so engaging and relevant, I wish I had learnt this stuff back in school.

Oh by the way, I bumped into this lecture, because I am subscribed to the Learn Out Loud Free Resource of the Day Email. I LOVE this Email Service. I get access to incredible wealth of Audio and Video material without searching for it. I highly recommend subscribing to it.

Similar Posts:

http://www.vakil.orgWhat’s the Right Thing to do? I’m Confused.
from Arif & Ali's Blog by arif

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails